Welcome to the Tenants Area

Here you will find all the information you need in relation to your tenancy, such a reporting repairs, submitting a complaint and general information.

Rent and Rates

Repairs and Maintenance

Tenant Information 

Ark Housing’s maintenance service is a significant proportion of the Association’s work and by listening to our tenants, we endeavour to provide housing which is in excellent condition and maintained to the highest possible standards.

The Association aims to provide a prompt and efficient maintenance service to all of its tenants. We are committed to offering the highest possible standards of service.

During office hours, Monday-Thursday, 9.00am – 5.00pm and Friday, 9.00am – 4.30pm, requests for a repair can be submitted to the Association by any of the following methods:

  • Telephone Head Office on 028 90752310 and ask to speak to the Maintenance Officer;
  • Contact your Scheme Supervisor;
  • Email Head Office using info@arkhousing.co.uk
  • Submit a repair form via our website
  • Visit in person or write to our Head Office at the following address:

Ark Housing Association
Hawthorn Office Park
37a Stockmans Way

When reporting a repair please ensure you state the following:

  • Your name;
  • Your address;
  • A telephone number where you can be contacted;
  • Details of when your home can be accessed;
  • A full description of the fault.

Complete the Repair Form below and Submit.

If you have an emergency repair which needs to be dealt with when our office is closed, please telephone our Emergency Repairs Number:

0800 731 3081

It is important that you only use this number in an emergency

Emergency repairs may only make safe the problem and the final repair may then be completed during normal works hours.

Repairs will be given a timescale within which the Association expects the work to be completed. By giving us contact details and information on the best times to call we can then advise our contractors and ensure a more efficient prompt response to your repair request.

Maintenance Priorities:

Immediate Call Out

A repair to be attended to by the contractor within 4 hours. These are repairs which imminently affect the health, safety and welfare of the tenant, general public or which poses an immediate threat to the fabric of the building. Immediate call outs would cover similar works to those covered by an emergency repair, but specifically those which cause a higher risk to person and property.

Emergency Repairs

A repair to be completed within 24 hours. These are defects and repairs, which may endanger the health, safety and welfare of tenants, or the general public, or could cause serious damages to the fabric of the building. Some Emergency repairs may only make safe the fault at the first visit.

Urgent Repairs

A repair to be completed within 4 working days, these would include repairs such as partial loss of electrical power, a minor leak, insecure external window or communal door lock

Routine Repairs

A repair to be completed within 20 working days. These are repairs, which do not cause major inconvenience to tenants or staff, or damage to the fabric of the building.

Ark Housing is your landlord but are not responsible for all repairs in your home. The following list is not exhaustive but acts as an indicator of the types of repair for which you are responsible as the tenant:

  • Decorating the inside of your home including making good minor cracks in the plaster;
  • Repairing any damage that may have been caused by misuse or through neglect by you, any member of your household or a visitor;
  • To take all reasonable precautions to prevent damage to the property by fire, frost, the bursting of water pipes or the blocking of drains;
  • Ensuring your oil or gas heating system has adequate fuel or credit (costs for reinstating heating following such failure will be passed onto the tenant;
  • To keep your garden clean and tidy and your grass cut;
  • To ensure that the property is clean, tidy, reasonably decorated and that all unwanted belongings have been cleared (including any in the roofspace) at the end of your tenancy;

The Association also relies on you to report any faults promptly and to provide access to our contractors to ensure that the repair can be undertaken within the Associations agreed timescales. Access to your home is essential to carry out repairs. Ark Housing will try to be specific about when the contractor will call. The more flexible you can be about access times and providing access details will help to have a repair carried out more efficiently.

If there is an emergency repair required and you are absent from home, Ark Housing reserves the right to enter your home and make safe any defects.

Ark Housing Association views items for which you will be held responsible as those deemed consumable and caused by everyday usage and natural wear and tear, such as:

  • Replacement of all curtain rails;
  • Bleeding radiators;
  • Cleaning of drains and wastes;
  • Elements to electric fires;
  • Securing WC bowls and replacement seats;
  • Fireplace tiles;
  • Draught exclusion to the doors and windows;
  • Fitting of TV aerials (except where a communal TV aerial is provided);
  • Filling of minor cracks to plaster prior to redecoration and during defects;
  • Adjusting doors to accommodate carpets, laminated floors and other flooring;
  • Replacing locks if you lose your keys;
  • Plumbing in washing machines or dishwashers;
  • ;Shower heads, plugs and chains on sinks, bath and basins;
  • Bathroom cabinets, towel rails, toilet roll holders, mirrors;
  • Plugs, light bulbs, tubes and light fittings;
  • Changing of domestic fuses, resetting trip switches;
  • Replacement bins, washing lines;
  • Exterior cleaning including cleaning gutters outside a planned gutter cleaning programme;
  • Clearing blocked sinks, waste and pipes within your dwelling/apartment;
  • Additional locks or security features;
  • Replacement of glazing (unless the breakage is caused as a result of an act of social unrest and subject to confirmation via a police report. In these circumstances the Association may undertake the replacement);
  • Cleaning of paths and hard standings such as driveways and yards;
  • Testing and replacement batteries in smoke detectors;
  • Take appropriate action to prevent the build-up of condensation;
  • Take appropriate action to prevent pipes from freezing or bursting;
  • As a tenant, you are responsible for flagging any electrical problems as soon as they appear, as well as maintaining any electrical items you bring into your home. Electrical Safety First (www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk) highlight a number of visual checks you should regularly carry out to ensure your home is electrically safe.

It is important to remember that the Association cannot be held responsible for the contents of your property so we strongly advise all our tenants to maintain adequate household insurance which should include the above mentioned items and any resultant damage from the omission or failure of any such items.

The Association has a legal duty as your landlord to carry out certain repairs when these are needed and  is responsible for the following:

  • Keeping in good repair the structure and exterior of your home or the building in which it is situated. This may include:
    • The roof, the outside walls, external doors, widow sills, window frames, including the necessary external painting and decoration;
    • Internal walls, skirting boards, doors and doorframes, hinges, locks, door jambs, cupboards, thresholds, letterboxes, door handles, floors (but not floor coverings) and ceiling and plasterwork (except painting and decorating).
  • The repair and maintenance of Association fitted installations for the supply of water, gas and electricity, for sanitation and for space and water heating. This may include:
    • Basins, sinks, bath, toilets, flushing systems and pipe work;
    • Mains electric wiring, gas and water pipes and taps;
    • Water and space heaters, fireplaces and fitted fires.

All of the above relate to fair wear and tear and not to tenant abuse or misuse.

  • In the case of sheltered housing schemes, the Association will take reasonable care to keep communal entrance, halls, stairwells, lifts, passageways, bin areas and any other communal areas in a reasonable state of repair.
If the Association carries out a repair, which is deemed to be your responsibility, a recharge will be levied against you.

If there is any need to undertake a repair through damage, misuse or neglect by you, your family or visitors, it is the Association’s policy to charge you the full cost of undertaking the repair plus an administrative charge. You may be given the opportunity to make good the repair within an agreed time scale and to an agreed standard.

Please be advised:

  • If damage is reported to the Association, we will give you notice to make good the fault, if you fail to do so we may carryout a rechargeable repair;
  • That the Association will endeavour to complete rechargeable repairs within standard response times but will not be held to these targets;
  • The payments of any repair you are responsible for will be collected on completion of the repair;
  • That the recovery of such charges will be invoiced directly to the tenant and may be subject to an administrative charge;
  • If a tenant requests an item of maintenance and no fault is found the Association reserves the right to recharge for reasonable costs incurred.

Queries regarding rechargeable repairs should be put in writing to the Maintenance and Property Services Officer

If a tenant requests a repair from the Association or it is an Out of Hours Emergency repair and the repair is found to be the tenant’s responsibility, the cost incurred may be recharged to the tenant. This may also apply if false or misleading information is given for an alleged emergency repair which is later found to be unsubstantiated.

The Association will carry out certain pre-planned works to all its properties from time to time to ensure that it remains in good order and provides safe accommodation for you and your family.

Ark Housing and its selected contractors and consultants will contact you in advance to carry out a survey and inspections which may be required before planning a programme of works.

The Association considers planned and cyclical maintenance work as an important element of its services and we do appreciate this has the potential to cause disturbance. However, we will endeavour to do all we can to ensure the disturbance is kept to a minimum.

The Association will provide notice to all tenants of all forthcoming improvement works.

 Cyclical Maintenance

Under the cyclical programme the Association will carry out the following maintenance works:

Annual Servicing and Maintenance of:

  • Fire alarms and emergency lighting systems
  • Fire protection equipment
  • Laundry equipment and white goods (applicable schemes)
  • Intruder alarms and CCTV systems (applicable schemes)

Ongoing Maintenance of:

  • Passenger lifts
  • Gardens and surrounding grounds
  • Heating systems
As a tenant you have the right to make reasonable improvements to your home but you must first ask and receive written permission from the Housing Association to do so.

The Association will assess each request on merit. Any alterations that would make your home less safe or would reduce its values will not be approved.

Improvements which may require written permission include

  • Any additions or alteration to the Associations fixtures and fittings, or to do with the services provided, e.g. putting in a new kitchen;
  • Erecting TV/Radio antenna, satellite receivers;
  • Carry out external redecoration, laying patio, erecting sheds or extensions, changing windows or heating systems;
    • Removing internal walls
    • Erection of railings
    • Conversion to attics
    • External decoration
    • Changes to electrical fittings
    • Hard landscaping

The Association will not unreasonably refuse permission to make improvements but may require certain conditions for example, that the work is carried out by a competent contractor to a proper standard, supervised and that statutory approvals such as Building Control and Planning Permission are obtained. Permission will not be given where alterations are deemed to make the dwelling unsafe, decrease the value of the dwelling or increase the cost of maintenance

Where a tenant replaces items or carries out alterations it will become the tenant’s responsibility to maintain such items.

The Association cannot make adaptations to the home of an individual tenant unless supported by an Occupational Therapist’s recommendation. Adaptations cannot be carried out on the sole recommendation of a doctor, consultant, social worker or any other care professional.